Wednesday 25 April 2012

Trout caviar


I catch far more trout than I eat.  In fact, I don't bring fish home all that often.  I do keep a couple of fish occasionally.  My fishing partner usually keeps a fish or two and last time I saw him walking to the truck with his catch I decided I'd keep a couple too, if I hooked up again.  It seems like once you make a decision to keep a fish, you don't get another one.  My luck held and I kept two fish, one was a 16" hen full of eggs.  I guess if I'd have looked closer I would have noticed the fish was a hen and I probably would have released her. Instead, I whacked her on the head with a rock only to realize what I'd done when I gutted her stream side.  I decided to keep the eggs to make trout caviar following Hank Shaw's instructions over at Honest-Food.net.








A zoologist friend told me that there was a danger of parasites - broad fish tapeworm (Diphyllobothrium latum). From what I read, trout caviar is the most popular caviar in Finland and freezing it for three days will kill the tapeworm larvae. The larvae themselves  are rather large (1/4" to 3/4") and trout caviar sold in Finland is carefully inspected and/or frozen before being sold.  Not sure how the freezing process affects the taste - texture seemed fine - but I was happier to have frozen it.

Following Hank's lead, I used mine as an accent on baked trout.  Next time I think I'll try this recipe for blinis with caviar and sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. Don't bother with a rock for despatch in future, I can do you a nice line in hand-made priests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that you Ken? I'm not a religious man but I've always wanted my own priest.

    ReplyDelete