Wednesday 9 December 2009

Dee Improvisation



I improvised this fly based on collected impressions from my first day with John Shewey's book Spey Flies and Dee Flies: their history and Construction.  It is a synthesis of Miss Grant (pp. 98), Dave McNeese's  Un-Named Circa 1977 (pp.120) and in some odd way, the Dessaigne LaPatriote and La Touque patterns (pp. 131).  Of course my tying skills are meager in comparison to the cited examples, I simply claim they are inspiration.

Dee Improvisation
Hook: TMC 7999 #2
Body: Gold tinsel with a brown copper rib, Claret and Fiery Brown Angora
Hackle:  Golden Pheasant flanks, Red and brown and Fiery Brown Schlappen
Collar: Red Golden Pheasant
Wing: Golden Pheasant (Dee Style)



The Golden Pheasant wing fiber would not stay married and I dabbed some flexament in the middle or each wing to hold them together - heresy! Aside from the tying, there's plenty that I think is not right with the pattern, but this fly contains some core or essence that appeals to me. I imagine that it might prove itself in low water.

No comments:

Post a Comment